Carrim's dedication raises hopes for new SABC board
NEW Communications Minister Yunus Carrim’s commitment to stabilise the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) raises hopes that a new board will succeed, a former board member seeking reappointment told Parliament on Wednesday. Since taking over from disgraced former minister Dina Pule, Mr Carrim has indicated that one of his main objectives is to stabilise the SABC. In July, he met members of the interim board.
Earlier this year, Parliament dissolved the board after infighting led to all but one of the members stepping down. Lumko Mtimde, who was a member of the dissolved board, is on the shortlist and was interviewed on Wednesday.
Parliament is in a race against time to finalise the selection of a new board, with the tenure of the interim board ending in August. During his interview Mr Mtimde’s was asked by MPs "what had changed" and why they could be certain that he will serve his full term.
He was also asked why he had chosen to resign in the first place instead of staying on to help "steady the ship". In response, Mr Mtimde said: "The new minister has shown a commitment to enable the board to work … the previous board collapsed because of internal disagreements and shareholder (commentary) on the board which compromised its integrity.