Marikana workers seek court order in fight for legal aid
THE 270 mineworkers who were injured and later arrested in the strike in Marikana last year asked the North Gauteng High Court on Thursday to set aside the decision by government agencies that have refused the workers legal aid in the Marikana commission of inquiry. The mineworkers also sought an order to compel the justice and constitutional development minister and Legal Aid South Africa to provide them with the legal aid on the same basis as the aid provided to state parties. The workers said despite being repeatedly requested to do so, the government had refused to assume responsibility for the legal costs associated with the presentation of evidence for those injured and arrested during the Marikana tragedy, which left over 34 people dead on August 16.
However, there have since been two extensions — the most recent being an extension until October 31 this year. The workers said that despite their best efforts to raise funds, their legal representatives have been paying the costs from their own pockets.
The application was launched by the workers on June 21, the day the commission took a break.... Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at Business Day