Nigeria army ‘kills 74 suspected Boko Haram fighters’ in raid
- News Home /
- Nigeria army ‘kills 74 suspected Boko Haram fighters’ in raid
Sunday 27th October, 2013 on Citizen
Nigeria’s army said Friday it had killed 74 suspected Boko Haram fighters in a raid on insurgent camps in restive Borno state, the latest operation in the military’s bid to crush a four-year Islamist uprising. The strike targeted two villages in the Mainok local government area, not far from Borno’s capital of Maiduguri, where Boko Haram was founded more than a decade ago. It followed a Monday assault on Boko Haram camps in another part of Borno, which the military said left 37 Islamists dead.
The military launched its offensive against Boko Haram more than four months ago and has claimed major successes. But last month, President Goodluck Jonathan ordered the country’s top military leaders to redouble their efforts following a spate of brutal attacks blamed on the Islamists that killed hundreds of defenceless civilians, including scores of students.
The phone network in Borno has been switched off since the offensive was launched. The military’s version of fighting has therefore been difficult to verify with local leaders and residents.
... Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at CitizenSimilar Stories
The full, and original, news article at Citizen covers these topics
The displayed article contains only highlights, a complete, and detailed, newspaper article is available at Citizen
, which we recommend you visit to get the full news coverage. Additionally, this news article, and associated news photos or images, are, and remain the property of Citizen