EC journo tells of Kenya bloodbath
A FORMER Eastern Cape journalist narrowly missed being caught up in the terror attack on a Kenyan shopping mall on Saturday. Nqobile Buthelezi, a former Rhodes University-based online journalist and manager for Highway Africa, was saved by what she described as a recurring bad dream. Writing of her account on Facebook, Buthelezi – now working as the digital innovation programme manager at Africa Media Initiative in Nairobi – said she was supposed to meet a friend at the Westgate mall but was running late.
But one unnamed South African is among at least 59 killed in the mall siege. Another six were able to flee the scene safely.
President Jacob Zuma has expressed shock. “Terrorism in any form and from whichever quarter, cannot be condoned and South Africa stands firmly with the international community in condemning all terrorism.
Yesterday afternoon, international relations and cooperation spokesman, Clayson Monyela confirmed that one South African had been fatally shot. He said the South African High Commission in Nairobi was closely monitoring the situation in close liaison with the Kenyan authorities.
Heartrending accounts of the day of terror emerged.... Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at Daily DispatchSimilar Stories