Protesters storm Cairo building after bloodbath
Families have tried to identify hundreds of mutilated bodies piled in a Cairo mosque a day after they were shot dead by the security forces. Egypt's health ministry says 578 people were killed and thousands wounded. Supporters of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood stormed and torched a government building in Cairo on Thursday.
State television quoted the interior ministry as saying the security forces would again use live ammunition to counter any attacks against themselves or public buildings. International condemnation rained down on Cairo's military-backed rulers for ordering the storming of pro-Morsi protest camps after dawn on Wednesday, six weeks after the army overthrew the country's first freely elected leader.
The US state department said it would review aid to Egypt "in all forms" after President Barack Obama cancelled plans for upcoming military exercises with the Egyptian army, which Washington funds with $1.3-billion in annual aid. Obama's Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel later warned Egypt's army chief that "the violence and inadequate steps towards reconciliation are putting important elements of our longstanding defense cooperation at risk".
Western diplomats have told Reuters that senior US and European officials had been in contact with Egypt's rulers until the final hour, pleading with them not to order a military crackdown on the protest camps, where thousands of Morsi's followers had been camped out since before he was toppled. There were reports of protests on Thursday but no repeat of the previous day's bloodbath.
In Alexandria, Egypt's second largest city, hundreds marched, chanting: "We will come back again for the sake of our martyrs!" Brotherhood spokesperson Gehad El-Haddad said anger within the 85-year-old Islamist movement, which has millions of supporters across Egypt, was "beyond control".... Read the full, comprehensive news article and discuss at Mail & Guardian